Category Archives: Mods
New Arrival: Mini Volt 40W Box Mod by The Council of Vapor
Mini Volt 40W Box Mod
The Mini Volt by Council of Vapor is a super compact mod. The Mini Volt is one of the smallest box mods on the market and features 40 watts of power, supports 0.2 ohm atomizers & soft / standard / power modes. And, as if that wasn’t awesome enough… it also features a rubberized paint with a REAL carbon fiber grip. the first starter set by the highly appraised Council of Vapor family, featuring an ultra compact Mini Volt 40W Box
Mini Volt Features:
- 1300 mAh built in Lithium Ion battery.
- Minimum 0.2 ohm resistance.
- Real Carbon Fiber Grip.
- Rubberized paint to minimize slipping.
- Soft, Standard, and Power modes.
- Charge cable included.
NEW ARRIVAL – Istick 50W Sub Ohm Mod
Istick 50W Sub Ohm Box Mod
Eleaf Istick 50W Sub Ohm Mod / Ecig Battery
Istick 50W Sub Ohm Mod / Ecig Battery Review:
The new Istick 50W Sub Ohm Battery by Eleaf will blow huge vapor clouds and is a “must have” for every vaper. We were were genuinely impressed with the Istick 30W performance and Eleaf knocked it out of the park again. We can’t say enough good things about this little vapor device. We paired the Istick 50 watt mod /ecig battery with the Aspire Atlantis Sub Ohm Coil Tank, The Kangertech SubTank and an Aspire Nautilus Mini and this little device delivered huge plumes vapor clouds every time.
This new Istick 50 watt battery is a great choice as a first battery and the perfect addition to your vaping collection. Whether you are new to vaping or an experienced vaper looking for a compact and powerful device, the new 50 watt sub ohm Istick battery has everything you want and more!
The new 50 watt sub ohm iStick is an newly launched variable voltage & variable wattage battery with a ton of features in a slick looking little metallic box. Not to mention it is surprisingly powerful and compact. it fits in the palm and pocket more comfortably than any other 50W device available today. The new Istick 50w battery is much more convenient and portable yet delivers the power you need to blow massive clouds on both sub ohm and non sub ohm tanks and atomizers. The highlight is an incremental OLED screen. There are multiple protection functions with the iStick such as atomizer short-circuit protection, a 10 second cut-off, and a low-voltage protection. And did we mention it comes in very cool colors? Oh yes, you’ll want to get your hands on this one!
The new Istick 50w ecig battery generates powerful vapor clouds due to the expanded range of output voltage(2V-10V)/ wattage(5W-50W) with 4400 mAh battery capacity. It retains strong spring connector and wear-resistant stainless steel thread. Moreover, the additional temperature alarm function makes it high-safety even in strong vaping. Great feeling when you hold it because of its size and the rounded edges, while side charging port is also a plus.
iStick 50W is a super upgraded version based on iStick series batteries. Powerful vapor can be generated due to the expanded range of output voltage(2V-10V)/ wattage(5W-50W) with 4400 mAh battery capacity. It retains strong spring connector and wear-resistant stainless steel thread. Moreover, the additional temperature alarm function makes it high-safety even in strong vaping. Great feeling when you hold it because of its size and the rounded edges, while side charging port is also a plus.
The iStick 50w is the latest device in the popular iStick series of e-cigarettes from iSmoka Eleaf. Power output can be adjusted from 5 to 50 watts in wattage more or 2 to 10 volts in voltage mode. It has a huge internal 4400mah battery that can be recharged via the USB port on the back of the mod. The 510 connection on the 50w has been upgraded with strong wear resistant stainless steel threading and a spring-loaded center pin.
Measuring 83mm tall by 45mm wide and 23mm deep the iStick 50 watt is larger than the original iStick which measures 75mm by 33mm by 21mm’s. However, it’s still pretty compact for having a 4400mah battery and a 50 watt output. The OLED screen and adjustment buttons have moved from the side of the device to the front if the iStick 50w, there is also now a lock feature for the adjustment buttons. The firing button still remains on the side of the device.
- Expanded Working Range and Larger Battery Capcacity: iStick 50W has a greater progress in working range (voltage: 2V-10V; Wattage: 5W-50W) and battery capacity(4400mAh).
- Temperature Alarm function: If the temperature of device is over 70℃, the output will shut off automatically and the screen will reflect “Temp Protection” for 5 seconds.
- Spring Connector and Stainless Steel Thread: The spring connection base ensures its high adaptability. The connecting thread is made of stainless steel which makes it more hard-wearing.
- Side Charging Port: The USB charging port is on the side of battery which will bring you more convenience.
- Inherit Advantages of iStick Series: OLED display, adjustable voltage/wattage and arrow button lock function.
- Size: 23.0mm * 45.0 mm * 83.0mm
- Color: black, sliver, red, blue
- Capacity: 4400mAh
- Thread Type: 510 Thread
- Rated output voltage: 2.0V-10.0V
- Rated output wattage: 5W-50W
- Rated resistance range: 0.2Ω-5Ω
Pair the new Istick 50 watt battery with the new Aspire Atlantis Sub Ohm Coil Tank or The Kangertech SubTank for a truly amazing vaping experience in a convenient and ultra compact package. The Eleaf Istick 50w Sub Ohm Ecig Battery will work with non sub ohm tanks and rebuidable atomizers. Don’t let its small size fool you. This baby packs a lot of punch and can’t be beat when it comes to versatility at a compact size… and price.
NEW ARRIVAL – Istick 30W Sub Ohm Battery
Istick 30W Sub Ohm Ecig Battery
Eleaf Istick 30W Sub Ohm Battery
Istick 30W Sub Ohm Ecig Battery Review:
Hold onto your hat! The new Istick 30W Sub Ohm Battery by Eleaf will blow huge vapor clouds and your mind… all in a surprisingly small package. We were genuinely surprised and can’t say enough good things about this little e cigarette / vapor device. We paired the Istick 30 watt ecig battery with the Aspire Atlantis Sub Ohm Coil Tank, The Kangertech SubTank and an Aspire Nautilus Mini and this little device delivered huge plumes of kidney punching vapor clouds every time.
This new Istick 30 watt battery is the one you want to own. Whether you are new to vaping or an experienced vaper looking for a compact and powerful device, the new 30 watt sub ohm Istick battery has it all!
The new 30 watt sub ohm iStick is an newly launched variable voltage & variable wattage battery with a fashionable metallic appearance and is surprisingly powerful and compact. it fits in the palm and pocket more comfortably than any other device. The new Istick 30w battery is much more convenient and portable yet delivers the power you need to blow massive clouds on both sub ohm and non sub ohm tanks and atomizers. The highlight is an incremental OLED screen. There are multiple protection functions with the iStick such as atomizer short-circuit protection, a 10 second cut-off, and a low-voltage protection.
- Expanded range of output voltage/wattage: With the voltage lowest to 2V and highest to 8V, wattage lowest to 5W and highest to 30W, iStick 30W can support sub ohm coil, getting ahead of other products at the same level.
- Spring Connector and Stainless Steel Thread: Newly introduced spring connector insures high adaptability and durability. The connecting thread is made of stainless steel which makes it more hard-wearing.
- New Streamlined Design on Top: This kind of design enable iStick 30W to be assembled perfectly with 22mm/23mm diameter atomizers.
- Arrow Button Lock Functionality: Keep pressing the up-arrow button and down arrow button simultaneously for 2 seconds when the battery is on, they will be locked to avoid unintentional presses. You can do the same operation to unlock them.
- Continuation of iStick Advantages: OLED display, adjustable voltage/wattage, large battery capacity. These advantages that make you love iStick will all be found in iStick 30W.
- Size: 23.0mm * 32.5 mm * 77.0mm
- Color: black, sliver, red, blue
- Capacity: 2200mAh
- Thread Type: 510 Thread
- Rated output voltage: 2.0V-8.0V
- Rated output wattage: 5W-30W
- Rated resistance range: 0.4Ω-5Ω
Pair the new Istick 30 watt battery with the new Aspire Atlantis Sub Ohm Coil Tank or The Kangertech SubTank for a truly amazing vaping experience in a convenient and ultra compact package. The Eleaf Istick 30w Sub Ohm Ecig Battery will work with non sub ohm tanks and rebuidable atomizers. Don’t let its small size fool you. This baby packs a lot of punch and can’t be beat when it comes to versatility at a compact size… and price.
New Arrival – IPV3 150 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You
Dual 18650 Unbridled Power and The Hottest Looking Box Mod On The Market
IPV3 150 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You
IPV3 150 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You Review and Specs
There is not a single unit on the market that can match the IPV3 150 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You, personal vaporizer in terms of power as it will feature a Yihieicgar sx330 V3 chip with an upgraded function enabling you to vape at an insane 150w ! It will also feature a 7.4v with a slot for 2pcs 18650 battery. The Black IPV3 are the most highly coveted, While most vendors are charging a premium. Vapor Life is not.
The IPV3 is the latest version of the IPV series to be released by GreenLeaf Technology also known as Pioneer4u. The previous version, the IPV2 was an innovative design that is easily one of the top vapor mods on the market today with power of 50w. This has lead to excitement among many in anticipation of their newest product, the IPV3 150w box mod. This unit will be powered by 150 watts, And you will know you haveh the highest powered MOD on the planet. In addition to its increased power, this version will feature a slicker, more light-weight design. It will also have the capability of firing an atomizer as low as 0.1 ohms which is incredible. OMG!!!!!!!
Specs Minimum Typical Max
- Output Power 7 Watts 150 Watts
- Output Voltage 1 Volts 7 Volts
- Output Current 40 A
- Atomizer Resistance 0.1 Ohms 1.5 Ohms 3.0 Ohms
- Input Voltage 6.2 Volts 3.7 Volts 8.5 Volts
- Input Current 1.3 A 10.0 A 30.0 A
- Screen On Current 25 mA
- Quiescent Current 1 mA
- Power Down Current 350 uA
- Efficiency 95%
- Screen size 0.69″ OLED
- Fire Method Regular Button & Touch Sensor
- Adjust Power Method Up and Down Button
- USB Charging for Battery NO (charge port)
- Software Upgrade/GUI operate Upgradeable USB
- Charging for Mobile Phone NO
- The ipv3 uses two 18650 batteries. P4Y recommends using two IMR 30amp batteries and fully charged when installed (ie paired together).
- The side buttons have been changed from a flattened BB style on the ipv2 to a more Hana type BB button that is now countersunk with polished edging (see photos)
- The ipv3 box edging has been polished on the ipv3 (see photos).
- The finish and paint on the ipv3 box seems slightly better
- The ipv3 box material appears to be a bit thicker/stronger (which may add some weight)
- The inside of the ipv3 box looks to be slightly redesigned with screws holding plastic casing in and some sort of seal inside the back door. (see photos)
- The back plate has been redesigned. This may be to prevent e-liquid leaking into box battery door seam
- There is a new hologram QC sticker inside and location has been changed
- There are two larger set hex screws holding the back battery plate on (the ipv2 has two super tiny Phillips head screws). There are two Phillips head screws enclosed if you wish to swap them out.
- The 510 connection on the ipv3 is now spring loaded (auto adjust)
- The USB on the ipv3 is for firmware updates only (see the yihi website for download information http://www.yihiecigar.com/product_cat_list/YiHiEc…
- There is a charge port on the side of the ipv3. The power/charging cord DOES NOT COME WITH IT at this time (but apparently can be purchased separately from P4Y at a later date). It appears to be a 9v 1amp size and aftermarket cords may work. (Proceed with caution.)
- The ipv2s is supposedly water resistant. It is unsure, although the back seal looks similar and some vendors make this claim, that the ipv3 is also water resistant. (Proceed with caution.)
- There is a 12-month warranty on this product if purchased through an authorized retailer. Warranty can be handled through Asmodus, a California company.
New Arrival – Copper King Kong 26650 Mod at Vapor Life
Now Available at All Vapor Life Vapor Stores in Miami, Broward
and Palm Beach County
Authentic King Kong 26650 Mod by SureFire Vapor USA
100% Made in America. 100% Copper.
This is the most Heavy Duty mechanical mod you can buy.
Authentic King Kong 26650 Mod by SureFire Vapor USA – Copper
- Vapor Life USA is proud to offer the limited edition Authentic Copper King Kong 26650 Mech mod by SureFire Vapor USA.
- The King Kong 26650 mechanical mod by Surefire Vapor featured all-copper construction, air vent holes for proper battery venting, a reverse-threaded locking ring,
- Beautiful laser-etched engraving. It also includes a certificate of authenticity.
- 100% Made in America. 100% Copper. This is the most Heavy Duty mechanical mod you can buy
- Authentic SureFire King Kong 2660 Mod + Letter of Authenticity
- Heavy Duty 26650 Mechanical Mod
- All Copper Construction
- Maximum conductivity throughout the mod due to all copper construction
- Air vent holes around the tube for battery venting
- 510 threading to fit all the atomizers
- Reverse threaded locking band to lock/unlock firing button
- One of the biggest locking ring we have seen
- Certificate of Authenticity Card Included
- Beautifully Engraved with All New King Kong Logo
- Stunning and Substantial
- Made In USA
- This Beast Is Very Limited In Quantities!
NEW ARRIVAL – SIGELEI 100 WATT DUAL 18650 BOX MOD
Sigelei 100 Watt Dual 18650 Box Mod
The new Sigelei 100 watt dual 18650 box mod is a top-end precision vaping instrument. This monster packs the new Yihi SX330 v3 chip and goes up to 100 watts, with 0.1 watt increments until 50 watts, thereafter in 1.0 watt increments. It features Sigelei’s reputable quality to back it up. This mod has room for two 18650 batteries which must be taken out to charge. The Sigelei 100w mod does not have a USB charging port.
- 100 watt SX330 V3 module chip
- Guaranteed 1 year warranty with Sigelei’s USA service center
- Better solder points than prior Yihi chips
- DNA board lay out
- 10-100 watt range
- Adjustable 510 connection
- DC-DC power output
- Handles down to .15 ohm resistance
- Handles up to 3.0 ohm resistance
- Auto ohm resistance meter finds ideal voltage for tank/dripper, 1.5v-6.0v
- Wattage regulated via two buttons, -/+
- Nice, big tactile switch for firing
- Battery voltage operating range 6.4v – 8.4v
- LED screen with visual operating interface
- Battery life readout in realtime
- Dimensions 102MM x 56MM x 23MM
- Chip runs cool to avoid heat and temperature sensor malfunction
- Uses 2 18650 batteries – removable
- Aluminum alloy box
- Low voltage protection
- Reverse battery protection
- To charge, batteries must be taken out
NEW ARRIVAL – IPV3 150 WATT BOX MOD
IPV3 150 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You
There is not a single unit on the market that can match the IPV3 150 watt personal vaporizer… PERIOD! This dual 18650 box mod features the sx330 V3 chip with an upgraded function enabling you to vape at an insane 150w ! It also features upgradeable firmware and comes in a gift box. We have the IPV3 150 watt box mod in black or silver All Vapor Life Vapor stores have a limited quantity in stock now. Don’t miss out on this amazing mod. It looks great and works perfect! Be the first to have the newest 150 watt IPV3 mod by Pioneer4u!
We are not going to do the up and back stuff from the manufacturer which we feel is just a tease. It is in stock now at all Vapor Life Vapor Stores in both silver and black as well as online at VaporLifeUSA.com.
We only have a LIMITED QTY so hurry in to get yours today! They sell fast!
New Arrival: Jigsaw V2 DUAL 18650 Box Mod by BD Vapes, ATB Dual 18650 Box Mod and
PUFF BOX 26650 Wood Box Mod
Powerful Dual 18650 Box Mods Are All The Rage in The Vapor Community And Vapor Life has Several to Choose From
Jigsaw V2 DUAL 18650 Box Mod by BD Vapes
The Jigsaw v2 is still a unique one of a kind HANDMADE exotic wood box mod. But this is a cross between the full size and mini jigsaw. Now the Jigsaw V2 has a copper floating 510 with straight connection to the positive end of your dual 18650. It also features solid copper bar in place of wire offering the optimal voltage drop!!! This is sure to be one of the hardest hitting box mods on the market today.
- Gold Plated Battery contacts
- 16 gauge Wire
- SS Anti-vandal Firing Button
- 2.5″x3.75″x1.5″ (WxHxD)
ATB Dual 18650 Variable Voltage Wood Box Mod
Dual 18650 pure copper negative battery terminals silver plated copper positive battery terminals Copper plated button featuring a gold plated brass 510 connection runs on dual 18650 Sony 30 amp (vtc4/vtc5) ONLY! Pushing 60 amps and 5,000 mah.
- ATB variable-voltage (VV) basic specifications:
- Green LED screen (hidden when battery cover is on).
- Adjustable voltage from 3.5 to 6.5 volts (approximately).
- Shell is made of aged hard wood w/ ATB engraving on battery door.
- Safety protection – built-in protection for short-circuit, over-voltage, over-current and over-heating. 10 Amp TI chip regulator (Step-down) – provide users wider range of power settings. This mod can go more than 30 watts of power consumption without compromising safety.
- Requires two 18650 batteries not included
This is one of the hottest box mod right now. It’s hand fabricated wood box mod, 10amp TI chip. full body, no cuts or glues,relaxed hand grip design, dual 18650, 510 connector w/ juice well, floating pin, variable voltage (3.5-6.5)
ATB variable-voltage (VV) basic specifications:
Shell – Ergonomically designed wood shell, lessens hand stress when vaping, allowing users to comfortably enjoy vaping for a longer period of time. We make use only of aged hard woods, full wood block shell, no joints for durability.
Safety protection – built-in protection for short-circuit, over-voltage, over-current and over-heating. 10Amps TI chip regulator (Step-down) – provide users wider range of power settings. They can go more than 30 watts of power consumption without compromising safety.
Requires two HIGH DRAIN at least 20amp or higher 18650 batteries( not included)
Puff Box 26650 Wood Box Mod
The 26650 Puff Box from Mastavapez in the Philippines is one gorgeous mod. The curved mahogany body is lightly varnished and laser engraved with the Puff Box logo.
Made to accommodate a 26650 battery and RBA, this Puff Box delivers serious vapor.
- Copper 510 connection
- Copper firing pins
- Vandal switch
- Laser engraved
- (not fully mechanical)
- Mahogany and Melina woodBrass
- Wood natural color
- T6 alum juicewell
- Delrin insulator
- Copper +pin (floating)
- 16mm gold high rise vandal switch
- Copper spring
- Clear coated (polyurethane)
New Arrivals: Authentic IPV2 50 Watt Box Mod by Pioneer4You
The Authentic IPV2 50 Watt Mod Is The BEST Regulated Mod On The Market Today For The Price of a Clone
Available at all Vapor Life Locations
The Box is made in Aluminium
The Display is an OLED Screen that shows the battery life, resistance of the coil attached in Ohms, the output wattage & voltage, and the current voltage of the battery.
The Green Leaf IPV2 50w takes one 18650 Only, It is not able to run on 2 x 18350 batteries stacked, It has built in short circuit & reverse polarity protection.
- Touch sensor firing button
- 50 watt YiHi SX330 chip unit
- Upgradeable firmware Via USB = higher wattage in future updates
- Better solder points than previous Yihi chips
- 7-50 watt range
- 2.8-8.5 volt range
- DC-DC power output
- Fires coils from 0.15 to 3.0 ohms resistance
- Auto ohm resistance meter finds ideal voltage for tank/dripper
- Wattage output adjusted with two buttons, -/+
- Mini USB interface charging port
- LED screen with white OLED .96″ display
- Battery life readout in real time
- Dimensions 100mm x 50mm x 22mm
- Locking mechanism to prevent misfire
- Chip runs cool to avoid heat and temperature sensor malfunction
- Adjustable 510 pin so no gap between atty and box!
In The Box
1 x Green Leaf IPV2 50w Touch Sensor Firing Button Box Mod
1 x USB Lead
1 x Mini Screwdriver
IPV2 Quick Review by Vape Diva
Okay, I have to admit I am a big fan. I was resistant at first because I so love my Hana Modz clone but I have to admit I am truly impressed by the IPV2. So much so It has inspired to write a quick review of this amazing IPV2 regulated mod. The device is an aluminum box mod using the YiHi sx330 v2 chip, it outputs 7-50w, it’s got a touch sensitive fire button (which can be disabled) as well as as clicky buttons for firing and adjusting power.
I am especially impressed by the price. An authentic 50 watt regulated mod for $120?!?! You cannot go wrong at that price point. it works as intended from .2-3ohm. The case is well finished inside and out and has an adjustable 510 pin (screw adjustment). My Kayfun Lite Plus V2 fit completely flush from the get go and it has an has adjustable 510 connector screw. Easier than adjusting my my Kayfun.
I have been vaping on it non stop for several hours and the battery life seems pretty solid. I expect it should last about a day under normal usage.
Things I like:
- compact box mod
- good finish
- adjustable 510 (though screw may need to be removed for flush mounting)
- simple to use
- reverse polarity protection
- solid performance so far for power and battery life
- shows voltage drop under load when firing (time to clean connectors/bin battery)
- small screws (many have said they don’t like this though but they supply spares and a screwdriver just in case)
- doesn’t get warm when chain vaping / charging
Could be improved:
- magnetic back door would have made swapping batteries easier
- No passthrough
Would I recommend?
ABSOLUTELY! You can’t beat the price and it does what it says, the chipset works pretty well and I like that it’s slimmer than a Hana style box. I highly recommend the IPV2 50 watt box mod for the price, power and versatility. If you want an authentic original 50W VW box mod… This regulated mod can accommodate the beginner, intermediate and advanced vaper alike. If you are already zn experienced vaper or begineer who into or aspires to blow huge vapor clouds and get into sub ohm direct drip atty’s at some point, this is the device for you. the IPV2 can take you from beginner to advanced vapier. I highly recommend. Hey, sometimes one size does fit all. The ipv2 50 watt box mod confirms that!
iI short…The IPV2 50 watt mod is everything I wanted and more. I love the Hana Modz DNA 30 Clone and they both have advantages. Unlike the Hana Modz DNA 30 and Zana Modz DNA 30 clone, the IPV2 is not a pass through device however, you can update the firmware and that appeals to the teachy in me. I have only owned mine a for a short times and so far I am very ipressed. I especially like the “Touch sensor firing button” on the top. And who doesn’t love 50 watts of power?
New Arrivals – Two New Dual 18650 Box Mods
Hottest Wood Box Mods by Puff Box Mods and Juicy Vapes
The Puff Box Dual 18650 Mod (Makers of the Hegaton Mod)
The Juice Box Dual 18650 made by Juicy Vapes
Dual 18650 pure copper negative battery terminals silver plated copper positive battery terminals Copper plated button featuring a gold plated brass 510 connection runs on dual 18650 Sony 30 amp (vtc4/vtc5) ONLY! Pushing 60 amps and 5,000 mah
New Arrivals – Nemesis Mod by HCigar
Hcigar Nemesis MOD:
- High Quality 1:1 Clone
- Solid Stainless Steel or Solid Brass Finish
- Adjustable Silver-plated 510 Center Pin
- Adjustable Airflow Control Ring
- 510 threading will allow use of a wide variety of 510 Atomizers, Cartomizers, Clearomizers & Tanks
- Includes all three (3) size tubes to allow use of 18350, 18490, 18500 & 18650 IMR batteries, button top or flat top
- Can be “Kicked” to add variable wattage with use of 18350, 18490 & 18500 & 18650 IMR batteries
- Will allow use of a Safety Fuse to add short circuit protection with use of 18350, 18490, 18500 & 18650 Li-ion batteries
- Bottom switch / button design that is ‘lockable’
- Ultra smooth threads & threading
H Cigar is known for Producing the Highest Quality Clones Available
New Arrival – GMS V Pinoy Mod – Black Cerakote
GMS-V BLACK Mod by V-Creations Made Exclusively for Vapor Life
Authentic Pinoy Mod – Not a Clone
Exclusive Limited Edition
Vaporlife GMS V Mod Black Cerakote by V-Creations Features:
- Vaporlife Signature on Bottom
- Limited Edition
- Less Voltage Drop than regular GMS
- 304 stainless steel
- top cap brass -firing button brass -(+)(-) pins pure 92.5 silver
- Telescopic Mod can fit battery 18350 to 18650
- Chip and nick proof – Virtually indestructible Cerakote finish ( Cerakote is the finish used on guns )
Mechanical Mod Safety and Proper Usage Guide
This article is intended for new vapers who want to get hold of their first mechanical mod. The first thing we must distinguish is the difference between a mechanical mod and an electronic cigarette a.k.a Personal Vaporizer (electronic PV).
A good and properly designed electronic PV has a built-in chip in the unit itself that acts as a protection circuit; it prevents things we want to avoid while using any unit and these usually include over-discharge and short circuit.
Because of the built-in safety features, electronic PVs are inherently safer than fully mechanical mods. Some popular electronic PVs are Provaris, Vamos, EVICs, E-Gos and iTastes.
The problem with a mechanical mod, however, is that obviously it does not have a chip that can monitor things like short circuit and over-discharge. Short circuit and over-discharge, without getting too technical, basically make the battery unstable to a point that it may overheat and catch flames or worse.
And this is the reason why we are posting this article – so that we can show you what you can do to compensate for the mechanical mod’s lack of native circuit protection.
We have compiled a list of things to remember when dealing with mechanical mods.
For some of these, it is implied that you get yourself a multi-meter. In fact, if you choose to own a mechanical mod, you should also get a decent multi-meter.
Let us go into each in detail.
We have compiled a list of things to remember when dealing with mechanical mods.
Regularly check for atomizer resistance and short circuits
Unlike your Provari or Vamo etc., a fully mechanical mod will still fire even when a short occurs on the atomizer. A short-circuit technically means zero or close to zero resistance (ohms), but most electronic PVs won’t allow anything lower than 1.2/5ohms. This is to ensure the batteries are not stressed especially if they have lower C ratings.
If you are using a new atomizer, make sure you check your resistance first before screwing it on your mechanical mods.
If you are using a rebuildable atomizer, do not let the ohms go too low as some batteries may become very stressed with lower resistance. When starting out, build them at a standard resistance around 2.0-2.5. ohms just to be safe.
Shorts don’t always occur in the atomizer, test the unit itself as well. To do this with a multi-meter, take out your battery, with one probe touch the positive pin of the mod and another on the body. If the meter shows any kind of resistance, it means a current is flowing and you have a short somewhere. Immediately remove the battery and locate and cure the problem.
When testing for resistance using a multi-meter, note that the multi-meter also carries its own resistance or lead resistance.
In cheaper multi-meters, we have seen this lead resistance go as high as 0.6ohms. Touching both probes together will usually display how much lead resistance the meter has. Subtract this from what is displayed on the meter when testing your atomizers to get the atomizer’s real resistance.
So if your atomizer reads 2.0ohms, it may actually be just 1.4ohms if your lead resistance is 0.6ohms.
Use A Safety Fuse
There are several safety fuses available for mechanical mods. These are designed to break the circuit in the mod if the battery gets too hot. There are electrical circuit fuses, like the ‘Vape Safe’ fuse. These work in the same way as the protection circuit does on some batteries. They add an extra couple of mm to the length of the battery.
Another type of fuse is a ‘hot spring’ Every mod uses a spring in the endcap to maintain good electrical contact between the battery and the mod. A hot spring does the same thing, but when it gets hot, it melts which breaks the electrical circuit in the event of a battery going bad.
If a fuse trips it will need to be replaced, ideally along with the battery that caused the failure as well. While fuses do not make your mechanical mod entirely safe they do provide an extra layer of protection.
Do not use the battery when it is fully discharged
Another suspected cause of batteries being damaged or even catching fire (thermal runaway) is when it continues to discharge way past its discharge threshold. Meaning; using it way past empty.
A Li-ion battery typically holds a capacity of 4.2 volts at 100% charge. As the battery is used, this voltage drops.Depending on quality and manufacturer, typically your batteries can be safely used until the voltage drops to between 3.6 and 3.3 volts (or even lower on really superb ones).
On the safe side, when a battery reaches 3.6 volts, just assume it is empty (as it might as well be), stop using the battery and recharge it as soon as possible. Li-ion batteries will enjoy a longer lifespan if partial discharge is practised.
If you are unfamiliar with your batteries, use your meter to test your batteries often to determine how much usage time you typically need to get from 4.2 to 3.6 volts. This will help you estimate how much is left when you don’t have your meter with you.
Just note that as the battery ages, the time to reach empty will decrease, and this is due to the internal resistance building up (We will talk about how to determine this in another article about internal resistance).
Avoid stacking batteries
Unless you really know what you are doing, simply do not do it.
Stacking batteries means putting one battery on top of another in series, so they produce a higher voltage. This also adds much more stress to each of the batteries. Two “stacking” batteries is not recommended
Not all batteries are designed to be stacked. Stacking will stress both batteries much more than when the same atomizer is used in a single-cell configuration.
Both your batteries must be capable of very high C ratings (which we may discuss in another article) and unfortunately most batteries are not. If you really want to stack batteries, make sure your batteries are designed to do so.
Another problem with stacking batteries is differing discharge rates. One battery may already be fully charged while the other less so. Sooner or later, one will ultimately over-discharge and cause problems.
Even on a new pair of batteries, there is a chance that in time one of these batteries “gets old quicker” which will make it empty quicker than the other. This often happens even in “manufacturer pairs”.
If you have no choice, such as you have a mechanical mod that only accepts stacked batteries, you can use a spacer (dummy battery) or purchase the best quality batteries that are designed to be stacked. Use atomizers with a resistance that will not stress your setup. And always check the health of your batteries regularly, both while in the device and in the charger
If you really need a higher voltage than what a single cell can give, consider a variable voltage electronic PV or a kick device for your mechanical mod.
Prevent your mechanical mod from firing accidentally
Other than discharging your unit beyond recommended levels, another cause of over-discharge and battery stress is accidentally firing your unit for prolonged periods of time. Usually this happens accidentally.
Electronic PVs like the Provari, Vamo, E-vic and eGo, usually have an automatic 10-15 second cut-off to prevent this, as well as manual “off” mechanisms where you can turn the units completely off.
Some mechanical mods may have lockable firing mechanisms that function as an “off” mechanism. But not all do.
If your mechanical mod has this feature, use it whenever you store your mods in your bag or even in its case. This will prevent it from firing.
If your unit does not, then make sure to remove the atomizer and ensure nothing can short the positive terminal (the pin where your atomizer connects to). Placing your unit in a small pouch/bag before placing it in your case, can help prevent this.
Use only protected batteries or better still, use safer chemistry batteries
In our market today, there are many kinds of batteries that can be used in a mechanical mod.
Two of the most popular battery types used in mods are ICR (LiCo02) and IMR (LiMn) / IMR hybrids. Both of these are lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries.
In terms of safety the difference between the two (ICR and IMR) is the chemical composition in these batteries. ICR can catch fire at a faster rate than IMRs because they are simply more combustible. ICR are also generally known to stress more easily than IMR. There are two types of ICR batteries, protected and unprotected. Never use unprotected ICR in any mechanical mod as it does not have any safety mechanism in them.
Protected ICR batteries have a basic layer of protection that prevents your batteries from shorts and over discharge problems. Protected ICR with a C rating of 2 amps or more can be used in mechanical mods.
IMRs however, has a more stable chemistry, and won’t likely to catch fire or explode as easily as an ICR can. They do not require protection, and often sold without it. These are also suitable for mechanical mods.
You may ask, what is better an IMR battery or a protected ICR battery?
The general consensus within in the vaping community is that if in doubt, IMR is better for mechanical mods. The reasoning is, although IMR has no protection circuit, by nature of their chemical composition, they are safer than ICR with a protection circuit. Protected ICR batteries have a history of their protection system failing, especially with the cheaper ones. In fact, we have read more incidents of cheaper protected ICR batteries venting flames than IMRs.
An analogy to this is that a protected ICR is like a gun with the safety switch turned on, and an IMR is a gun someone filled with rubber bullets. Both guns can hurt but one is more hazardous.
Do not invert batteries
The outside, or case of the battery is always negative and therefore your mod’s case should also be negative.
In most mods, the negative portion of your battery is at the bottom of the mod to make the entire tube negative.
The reason for this is that if your battery case gets damaged, and it touches the metal tube, your tube will be negative no matter how you positioned your battery. No short will occur.
However, if your tube is positive, and your battery case gets damaged, you will have a short and a serious problem.
Do not over-charge your batteries
Whenever you have fully charged your batteries, before you place them in your mechanical mod, use your multi-meter to check the voltage.
It typically should not go beyond 4.2 volts, although many brands have a +/- .05v in their specifications allowing them to go up to 4.25volts.
If it goes beyond what is specified, consider changing the battery, the charger or both. An over charged battery should be considered unstable and therefore potentially dangerous.
To prolong battery life, charge your batteries at 4.1volts rather than fully charging them.
Also, never try to recharge a battery that has been severely discharged. A severely discharged battery may develop an internal short.
Make sure your mechanical mods have sufficiently sized and number of vent holes
If you follow the rules already mentioned, you should be fine.
But even the most vigilant of us can and do make mistakes. Even if we follow all the rules, there are just some things we cannot avoid such as accidents.
When this happens, it is good to have a unit with some sort of safety mechanism in place. To this end we would advocate the use of a ‘kick’ style fuse in the battery compartment. There are two types; the first is a ‘single event’ type which will require replacement should it blow and a re-settable type with a set number of cycles. Both cut out when detecting an abnormal rise in battery temperature therefore preventing you from operating the device. For £2.50 and £15 respectively, either is considered a worthwhile investment.
One of the biggest problems with a battery experiencing thermal runaway (which may be caused by shorts, stress or over-discharge) is that things inside the battery expand at a rapid rate.
A mod without vent holes is a sealed container that may crack, shatter, or explode causing harm to you and others simply because the pressure inside the mod has nowhere to go.
A mechanical mod with suitable vent holes can prevent this pressure from building up and it can release the rapidly expanding gases before they build to dangerous levels.
Think of a mod without vent holes as a balloon, when you inflate it too far, eventually it will explode. Known within the battery industry as ‘venting with flame’ or ‘rapid disassembly!!!
A balloon with large enough holes however, will just release the pressure no matter how much you blow into it.
Having covered the fundamentals, this may feel like a lot to take in. Eventually these will be second nature to you. So have a great day and enjoy your mechanical mod!!!
Our gratitude goes to Diana and Uba at BumbleVape for permission to use this article. There may be changes including additions and removal of information as it becomes available or irrelevant.
Thank you to VaperCaper for information on Safety Fuses.